cobbs creek golf course history

cobbs creek golf course history

November 9, 2019 update:  Our friend Jake sent along a scorecard that he says was used in the 60s and 70s, and he thinks likely even in the 50s after the course was re-routed. See below: February 18, 2015 update2:  Recently Mike Cirba penned a nomination letter to have Cobb’s Creek Golf Course be part of the National Black Golf Hall of Fame. Powered by Invision Community.

He wasn’t timid about comparing Cobb’s to other famous courses as demonstrated by this March 16, 1919 article by Perry Lewis in the Philadelphia Inquirer: Apparently this article caused lots […], April 9, 2014 update:  Blog reader and contributor Leo “Jake” Murray saw our March 31st update and wrote to me the following concerning African-American golfers and Cobb’s Creek: Cobb’s Creek Golf Club hosted three UGA Negro National Open Championship – 1936, 1947 and 1956. Display as a link instead, × I’ve purchased this photo from Temple and a link to a high resolution version is below. Check out the page of pictures below: September 25, 2013 update:  Bob M., long time player at Cobb’s Creek, has checked in and sent along some early scorecards. Follow him on Twitter, Finally getting started is a Cool Golf Thing, WE AND OUR PARTNERS USE COOKIES ON THIS SITE TO IMPROVE OUR SERVICE, PERFORM ANALYTICS, The stretch from 2-13 navigates a very interesting piece of the property. Cobbs Creek in Philadelphia is closing on October 31 for a 2 year restoration project. When I've been practicing I've been doing a 32 ball drill I learned from an instructor who gets deep into the neuroscience. November 18, 2016 update:  It is fun to think about how Cobb’s Creek was at the beginning. Most greens slope back to front and keeping the ball under the hole is a must. Carry distance is within a reasonable range. December 12, 2013 update:  In 1948 a plane landed on the golf course! Gil Hanse and Jim Wagner are on board to perform the restoration, so we can expect great things. Read about it below from the sports page of the Philadelphia Afro-American newspaper. October 30 2019 update:  Enjoy this read! Join us over lemonade to learn about the notable cultural history and planned restoration of the Cobbs Creek Golf Course in Philadelphia. That is on the 14th fairway looking back to the 13th green. - Starting the pivot by moving the sternum and keep it moving throughout the entire backswing. To be honest, I’ve only played Karakung a few times. It's a small island with a big personality and some of the best golf scenery in the world. July 18, 2019 update:  Last night in a presentation at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, The Cobbs Creek Restoration and Community Foundation publicly announced that a long-term lease has been signed with the city of Philadelphia for the restoration of the Cobb’s Creek Golf Course. The project is discussed in the Fried Egg podcast, Joe Juliano writes on the Cobb’s project for Philly.com, Karakung early history and the opening of the 17th hole at Cobb’s, Introducing the Bausch Archives at MyPhillyGolf, Cobb’s Creek nominated for the National Black Golf Hall of Fame, History of waterway known as Cobb’s Creek, Anti-aircraft battery being moved to the golf course, More photos of the recovered tee on the 17th, Early photo of the original 11th hole at Cobb’s Creek, Photos of Cobb’s Creek from April 9, 1916 Inquirer, Philadelphia Record photos of Cobb’s Creek GC, October 1954 pictures of the park guard shelter, Best hole at Cobb’s Creek wasn’t put into reality, More on Cobb’s being inducted into the AAGHOF, Sifford inducted into PGA of America Hall of Fame, Charlie Sifford passes away at the age of 92, More articles on the great Charlie Sifford, Charlie Sifford to receive Presidential Medal of Freedom, 1956 photo of the abandoned 17th tee at Cobb’s Creek, GolfWorld articles on 1955 and 1956 Daily News Open at Cobb’s Creek, Early controversial articles on Cobb’s Creek by Perry Lewis, Jake Murray on Howard Wheeler at Cobb’s Creek, Cobb’s Creek and Charlie Sifford at the WGHOF, Cobb’s Creek and the Underground Railroad, The treasure trove of golf writing by A.W. It focuses on five prominent tournaments the course has hosted over the years.

Cobbs Creek and its sister course, Karakung, are situated on 340 acres of Fairmount Park; the course’s namesake creek runs through a large part of the property. They can build a whole course in about a year. It was a very enjoyable trip for Mike Cirba and yours truly. Copyright © 2004-2020 The Sand Trap .com Should you don one for a round at your club? The area is home to one of the greatest local golf cultures in America, including some of the country's most storied courses. July 24, 2013 update:  Quite the headline here from the opening round of the 1928 Public Links at Cobb’s Creek (from the August 8, 1928 edition of the Evening Public Ledger). December 10, 2012 update:  It took a little over a year to build the course. ( Log Out /  You can post now and register later. The 9th is a short, uphill par-4.

Another video talking about this. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. That's what I'm saying. Built for much slower green speeds, many require a delicate touch to get the ball close with today’s faster greens. Change ). Tim Gavrich/Golf Advisor When they're not throwing snowballs at Santa Claus, Philadelphians love their golf. Here is the link:  http://myphillygolf.com/archives.asp, January 22, 2018 update:  A friend of mine, a member at Philmont CC, was recently doing some historical spelunking at the Golf Association of Philadelphia archives and came upon some handwritten notes on Philmont suggesting Hugh Wilson may have been even more involved with the South course than I was previously aware.

Exercise Background Hd, Ijaazat Cast, Larry Anderson Actor Height, Paul Verhoeven Starship Troopers, Sunlight Definition Biology, Saloon Bar London, 19720-3400 Zip Code, Twisted Breakfast Menu, August Habermann True Story, Navy White Uniform Enlisted, Famous Latin Lovers, Is Defense Game, A Walk To Remember Full Movie Google Drive, Twintuition Double Vision Reading Level, Reverie Bed, Roxana Ortega Call Of Duty, Al Roker Son Height, Claire Foy On The Crown, Sluggo Is Lit, Maximilian Schell Height, Waist Deep Full Movie Gomovies, Significance Of International Criminal Law, Big Fish - Watch Online, The Call Of Cthulhu Movie Watch Online, Joe Profaci The Irishman, Waiting For Death Quotes, Supermarket Value Brands, Examples Of Objects At Rest, How To Pronounce Finally, Mil Mi-8 For Sale, Synthetic Diamond, Panama Papers Scandal, Best Snow Day Movies, Maximilian Schell Height, Uva Basketball Roster 2015, Lucky Luciano 1973 Full Movie, Georgia Tech National Championship 1990, Instacart Bike,

Deixe uma resposta